baslinux - Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:14:01 +0000 (UTC)

Gateway Telepath 28.8 - supports full Hayes AT command set

Re a Hayes 56K modem

It is labelled 56K but downloads like a 28K. I have two, the other

was this one also struck by lightning? if not check to see if 56k has
been disabled... AT+MS? (shows whats stored in at+ms... using at+ms=?
will show options but not whats stored) should show you all that you
need... if it was struck by lightning... well....

Bought used for $1 along with another that works at about 46K. We will compare components some day.

worked
as 56K until lightning struck. A USR 56K after the same lightning storm
changed to 14.4K max. Some day we may find the bad part, if people don't
give us more old modems.

if it can still pick up the phone check for fusable resistors that
It can't, will check the resistors, thanks.

havent 'blown" but the resistance has raised... this will lower
speeds... chances are however its in the chip that 'picks up the
phone' and there wont be anything you can do.... note: surface mount
components will only have numbers that you will need to get a
reference for (the web should have the data... check
www.epanorama.net) but if your eyesight is like mine it'll be nearly
impossible to read them...

Magnifying glass.

How do you dial a bbs without a terminal program, echo atdt1234567 >
/dev/ttyS1, etc.?

'echo -e "ATZ\r ATDT555-5555\r" > /dev/ttyS0' (or S1... wherever your modem
is)

this will (should) reset the modem then tell it to dial.... your guess
is as good as mine as to what the port speed will be set at tho...
(probably 38400)

Adding AT&N16\r before the phone number might set it to 33.6Kbps. (My manual is for a 28.8k modem). Can I combine AT&F1&N16\r ? But the bbs runs at 14.4K anyway.

Kermit only asks you to set line and set speed and provide phone number (but you can also write a script to log in).

Will try this soon. Smaller than microcom.

also... you wont be able to see whats going on....

since you are using BL microcom (i think thats what its called) should
be installed... just use microcom /dev/ttyS0 (or ...again whatever
port your modem is on) and you can talk to the modem and manually dial
a BBS and see whats going on...

Microcom does not work with my bbs. It worked with another one that no longer supports dialins.

--sam
http://mephitus.renamon.org/
"When you've done something right, no one will be sure you've done
anything at all." -- Futurama