baslinux - [BL] Cameras -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Cameras -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 04:04:41 -0600

On 25/12/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> What would you do if you biked somewhere with your camera and took photos
> >> that you wanted to share immediately, and nobody there had a laptop
> >> computer?
> >
> > id show them the images on the convienient LCD screen built into the
> > camera if i was in that much of a hurry....
>
> That still would not give them a copy of the photos, which you would need
> to upload over your dialup line later. (At 6MB/hour, with luck).
> Assuming they even had internet service. We have several friends with
> computers and no internet connection (or they don't know how to download
> photos with it).

then print them.... or lower the resolution before you email/share...
last time someone sent a 1280x1400 (or higher) image to me i was like
"wtf?" ... it doesnt fit on a monitor anyway... and that high of a
resolution isnt needed... i just need to see their face... not count
number of hairs on their chin....

this is where ---GIMP--- comes in handy; the Gnu Image Manipulation
Program.... shrink crop edit change the format reduce the colors.... a
~200K 256color indexed PNG can do just as good as a 3MB jpeg if you
know how to play your cards right.......

> >> We have one desktop to which we added pcmcia controller and
> >> slot.
> >>
> >> I made sure to get a camera (Olympus from 2000) that can transfer via
> >> serial cable using PhotoPC (for linux or for DOS and it fits on a boot
> >> disk. 60K file. But trasnferring 50MB of photos (1280 res, 200-250K
> >> each)
> >> took 6 hours so I got a USB card reader for Smartmedia cards and use
> >> David's 1-floppy boot disk instead of biking around with a laptop
> >> computer
> >
> > why in such a hurry? buy a pocket PC if you just cant wait.... they
> > have wifi and usb ports last i looked... take pics... stop infront of
> > a starbucks and then email your pics wherever you want...
>
> We don't buy computers, they are given to us. Why spend money? The
> people we visit on our bike trips live an hour or two from a wireless
> connection and often don't have email. Or have free local email at 14.4K.

i dont buy computers either... but then again.. im not in that much of
a hurry to share photos either... i have an ancient by todays
standards digicam with 2mb of built-in ram and a 640x480 max res...
and only holds 12pics at that res... if i wanted to store more i would
bring a laptop... or use a friends windoze machine... the windoze
driver fits on a floppy nicely... but ive never done it since 35mm
lets me take as many pics as i want... analog still beats digital on
both price and resolution...

and with a 2400dpi scanner (gift) im set in converting the prints to a
digital format....

> We have two PDAs, serial and USB, and can't find any use for them.

how much you want for em? what models? what add-ons do you have for
them? (keyboards? serial? sound? etc...)

> > polaroid also makes a camera that spits pictures out as soon as you
> > take them....
> Do they make a 3 oz scanner with built-in floppy drive to carry along?

they call that the sony mavica.............. its not a heavy
camera.... and if you really enjoy photography why not sink some money
into it...?

> >> in my backpack. 100 sec transfer. Is PCMCIA any faster than USB?
> >
> > PCMCIA is as fast as the ISA bus.... it -is- the ISA bus... (8MB/sec)
>
> 50 MB in 6 seconds instead of 100 sec?
> I don't think the hard drive can write that fast.
> We will do an experiment some day. We have one laptop computer with USB
> and PCMCIA and hard drive.

lol... 8MB/sec is the absolute max... remember this is spread out over
the bus... you have other devices to take into account... max transfer
ive ever squeezed out of an ISA bus device was 5MB/sec out of a
harddrive... (IDE is based off of the ISA bus as well)