baslinux - Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:28:29 +0000 (UTC)

I am still trying to use two Tseng ET6000 PCI cards with 2-2.25MB RAM and VESA 2.0 (framebuffer support) because AGP cards don't work together with MGA cards and Matrox PCI VESA 2.0 don't display on 15" monitors at 1280 (they display at too high a frequency - Tsengs work at 51.0 kHz HorizSync interlaced).

Xvesa crashes on exit, half the time on two computers, all the time on one.

X works on two out of three computers, but only in 8-bit color. Adding
option "linear" did not help. Any ideas how to fix this?

I just discovered that the xfbdev which David Moberg compiled (along with his 2.2.16 framebuffer kernel which was supposed to support S3 cards with a patch but did not) is working perfectly with this card (apart from the 8-bit color problem).

Tseng behaves very well with the vesafb kernel that I just compiled with David's help. So I have found a good use for xfbdev, up to 1024 resolution. For 1280 (8-bit only with 2MB video RAM) use X_SVGA.
It also works perfectly with David's 2.4.31 USB 1-floppy setup - as chipset VGA, VESA, Tseng, or unspecified.

  • Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers, sindi keesan, 12/19/2005