baslinux - Re: [BL] GRUB to boot BL?

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: info AT freedomnet.org.uk, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GRUB to boot BL?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:15:35 -0500

On 13 Dec 2005 at 20:53, Ian wrote:
> This isnt a serious problem with Lilo such as you had but I find having
> to type "Linux" or whatever I want booted rather irksome. The latest
> Lilo starts with a menu from which you can choose with up or down keys.

Last year, I think, I had BasicLinux 2 on a computer along with Windows 98.
Probably via Steven's coaching, it booted using LiLo, and seemed to work
fine. I can't recall much about it. Somehow I lost all that.

> How does grub compare with this? Does it start
> with a menu?

Yes, somehow GRUB uses the text file menu.lst, pasted below. (Lines may
wrap.)

When you boot, the choices are there, along with instructions to edit the
commands, etc

I thought I sent a message about this a few days ago.

######## modified 12/11/05
# This sets the default entry to boot.
# Remember that GRUB counts from 0, so 1 is the second entry.
default 0

# This sets the length of time in seconds that grub will wait for the user to
select an OS
# before it boots the default one.
timeout 5

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title DSL-exp

kernel /boot/linux24 fromhd=/dev/hda3 root=/dev/hda3 quiet base nodhcp
nopcmcia frugal home=hdb4 opt=hdb4 write
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz

title BL3-HD
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/zimage root=/dev/hdb2 rw

# Enter the entry for DSL here. Something like this.
title DSL
kernel /boot/linux24 root=/dev/hda3 quiet vga=normal noacpi noapm nodma
noscsi frugal
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz