baslinux - Re: [BL] cfdisk finds Bad signature on partition table

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cfdisk finds Bad signature on partition table
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:34:35 +0000 (UTC)

I was able to format one of the scsi drives (pqmagic) and expect the others to work.

I decided to stop using my 3.2G linux drive with 'bad partition table signature' even though it had three linux partitions and worked fine (apart from needing to disable UDMA in CMOS to eliminate a long wait at boot with a timeout trying to use DMA).

A friend gave me two Maxtor 6GB drives, each with one FAT32 Win95 partition.

Using BL3 (from loop) cfdisk, I deleted the partition on the first one, made four New linux partitions (all primary) and tried to do a Write and was informed that I could not write to the partition table. Nor could I reboot, had to power off. PQMagic crashed. cfdisk -z after power on gave me the Fatal Error bad partition table signature, and again I was unable to write to it. I suspect this drive is bad, since the other matching 6GB worked perfectly.

So, the Fatal Error bad partition table signature can mean:
1) The disk has no partitions but can be partitioned (with cfdisk -z, or PQMagic, etc.).

2) The disk had a partition but when you delete it you cannot write any more partitions (with cfdisk -z or PQMagic) and the disk is now apparently unusable. Is this a hardware failure of the part of the disk containing the partition table? Is there some way around this problem?

3) The disk is usable in linux if you write the partitions with something other than cfdisk (which does not even work with cfdisk -z), and maybe this is related to the DMA problem.

I have only run across one each of 2) and 3).

I also have two 2-3GB disks from which I can no longer boot into DOS, but they work fine for linux as slave drive, booting with loadlin. They have bad boot sectors. Can lilo be used with them as master (without DOS)?