baslinux - Re: [BL] 'man' disappeared!

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 'man' disappeared!
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:40:57 +1300

Kunle 'bona wrote:

> My question may seem a bit silly, anyway, bl3 is supposed to have
> the same kernel with Slackware 7.1

Yes, both BL2 and BL3 use the same kernel as Slackware 7.1.

> amd just wondering why it works with slackware 4.0 modules

It doesn't. Both BL2 and BL3 use modules from Slackware 7.1.
It is the *packages* that are different. BL2 uses pre-compiled
packages from Slackware 7.1. BL3 uses pre-compiled packages
from Slackware 4.0.

> does it have anything to do with the libs?

Yes, the packages from Slackware 7.1 are glibc2.
The packages from Slackware 4.0 are libc5

> is it because it was intended to be more "low-resource"

Yes, libc5 is much smaller than glibc2. BL3 is designed
for 386/486 laptops (or desktops) with as little as 4mb RAM.
The minimum for BL2 is 486DX with 8mb RAM.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru