baslinux - Re: [BL] Migrating to HD

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: info AT freedomnet.org.uk, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Migrating to HD
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:23:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Ian wrote:

I couldnt find any instructions on the web site for migrating BL3
to a HD. Ive got the old BL1 migration package and Ive been
looking through it. It looks rather unlikely for BL3.

Ive been working on a P11. I was surprised that the BL3 Kernel
with loadlin stalled whilst loading.

Did you install the first version of BL3, the one that goes into a DOS partition called baslin? I was unable to get it working on three PII's - two of them being Gateways with Intel cpu and board. They would not insmod loop.o, which is part of the loading process. I got some kernel panic message, every time.

Try the 2-floppy-disk BL3, which installs itself to HD and uses lilo.
If you prefer loadlin to lilo:

1) unload lilo with
lilo -u (or lilo -U)

You will then boot into DOS. Go to some directory where you have put loadlin and the kernel. In that directory

2) make a file called hd.bat and boot from DOS with it:

loadlin zimage root=/dev/hdb1 rw

(substitute for /dev/hdb1 whatever your partition is - if the second partition on the first drive, hdb2).

We used this method to install another linux that used lilo, and switch it to loadlin.

If you have another computer try installing it to that one and then copy it between computers via ethernet with 2-floppy linux. Or via a parport zip drive. You can also run BL3 from zip drive with a boot disk that David created and I posted. See previous postings.

Steven can probably suggest something better.

"Kernel panic: VFC Unable to mount root fs on 07:00"

I dont know what this means. Is there some reference for
these error messages?

The new P11 kernel works ok though.

--
Bye now,