baslinux - [BL] Driving the wild mouse: laptop trackball issues with X

  • From: "junkb0x99" <junkb0x99 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Driving the wild mouse: laptop trackball issues with X
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:24:41 -0400

I have an ancient Dell Latitude XP 4100CX laptop that I'd like to use Basic Linux as the primary OS on.

Currently, it has 8MB RAM, a 540MB HDD, Floppy, 1MB VGA monitor, two PCMCIA slots with a 14.4 modem in one. HDD is partitioned so I have swap space available.

The only problem I've had so far with Basic Linux: When I run X, the built-in trackball doesn't work. Either it moves in really trippy ways, or it doesn't move at all. I tried an external mouse, and it didn't work at all. When I exit X, the screen is full of the following:

    Switching to mouse protocol "imps/2"
    Switching to mouse protocol "exps/2"
    Switching to mouse protocol "bus"
    Switching to mouse protocol "ps/2"

How do I disable or ignore some of the mouse protocols, particularly "bus"? I believe that's the one causing all the trouble.

Junk Box