baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux without a hard drive, was Re: MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux without a hard drive, was Re: MPlayer
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:11:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Theo Perry wrote:

I think you have to type "sudo su" to work as root in DSL.

That's right. It works just like Knoppix in this respect. But you don't
necessarily have to "be" root to issue root commands when using sudo. To
issue any command requiring rot priviledges such as insmod (actually, on a
more modern distro like DSL you'd want to use modprobe) in DSL, just issue
sudo insmod module_name. Or, better yet sudo modprobe module_name. Sudo
usually prompts for password, but these live CD distros are set up to sudo
passwordless.

Thanks. I was reading about sudo. Another approach is to type sudo -v, then give your password which will be valid for 5 minutes, then sudo su -, which gives you the root path, then you can type commands for 5 minutes without typing sudo each time.

DSL apparently would not need the sudo -v part, would it need sudo su -?

I was going to try this but the dratted computer is back to 101 i/o rom error and probably needs a $20 voltage board replacement.

The 0x10 error I was getting trying to boot from 2-floppy BL3 is supposedly due to 'bad media' - so I tried another BL3 set but by then could not boot.

The boot process stopping between the popad bug OK line and the POSIX conformance testing line while trying to boot the parport zip boot disk, with 386 BL3 kernel, is the same as what I was getting trying to boot with the 486 kernel on a 486 or pentium. The 486 kernel was supposedly buggy, but this 386 kernel worked on all my other computers for booting that parport zip boot disk. Odd. Maybe I should try the pentium kernel here.

If we can fix the hardware boot problem, this really does seem like a good candidate for burning BL2 and/or BL3 to a bootable CD rather than going through all the sudos and insmods and chroots and THEN waiting several minutes for BL3 and then mplayer to load from zip disk.

DSL seems to already set up sound. Maybe it has a movie player? Ubuntu has some sort of movie player (which is used as a jpeg viewer) but is ridiculously slow to load, looking for new hardware, networks, etc.
It should at least be happy with 320MB RAM.

If I ever get this figured out, maybe I could post an iso file for a minimal BL3 with mplayer and sb16 sound. (Except that it is laptops that seem to be missing floppy or hard drives, and in my experience they have more obscure sound chips that might need ALSA sound). Can you make a 256MB RAMdisk for use with BL2, with a slightly modified kernel (this one does 4MB RAMdisks) like DSL does?

James