baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux without a hard drive, was Re: MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux without a hard drive, was Re: MPlayer
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:48:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

We are trying to find a use for a 500MHz laptop Compaq Armada M700 with
320MB RAM but no hard drive or caddy for it. We got it to boot by
unplugging and replugging CMOS battery. To get it to power off and on,
plug and unplug the power cable and make sure there is no battery in the
battery slot (the large battery).

sindi keesan wrote:

The computer appears to be booting properly now, so we are back to
the problem of how to use it without a hard drive after booting
from floppy disk. Can we, while it is turned on, remove the floppy
drive so as to insert the DVD-ROM drive? We could then run linux
from a parport zip drive, booted from floppy disk with grub, and
play DVDs.

Usually, single drive bays in laptops are hot-swappable.

I found a review which said this multi-drive is hotswap.

I tried to boot with the zip-drive boot disk that David made (imm) but it gets stuck every time just after Checking for popad bug...OK (the next line should be POSIX conformance testing).

BL3 2-floppy set won't boot - error 0x10

BL2 2-floppy booted and I could insmod loop parport parport_pc scsi_mod sd-mod and imm, chroot to the zip drive after mounting fs.img on it on a loop, and run mplayer from there, slowly (but I have to set up sound for this cmoputer). It is rather a slow way to go about this.

DSL might be slightly faster but I would have to su and then insmod imm and then chroot.