baslinux - Re: Linux without a hard drive, was Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Linux without a hard drive, was Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:51:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The computer appears to be booting properly now, so we are back to
the problem of how to use it without a hard drive after booting
from floppy disk. Can we, while it is turned on, remove the floppy
drive so as to insert the DVD-ROM drive? We could then run linux
from a parport zip drive, booted from floppy disk with grub, and
play DVDs.

Usually, single drive bays in laptops are hot-swappable.

There is a 2MB PDF manual that I ought to confirm this in. I can download it to sdf at 20K/sec and convert to text there, I think.

Another option would be to learn to make a bootable linux CD with
mplayer on it.

You do know that BL3 and BL2 are available in bootable form? You
can either put MPlayer on the same disk (I will post directions
if you want this) or you can put MPlayer on a parport ZIP disk
and mount that (after getting the modules from a CD).

I know that there is an ISO image, but I have not ever made a bootable CD, and we already have a bootable DSL CD, and BL3 on zip disk.
I don't know if DSL includes imm.o (or maybe the kernel was compiled with it).

We could also put BL3 and static mplayer onto our 10MB CF card in the PCMCIA adaptor. Then chroot to it after booting from some linux CD. This would run faster than the zip drive. Sort of an odd arrangement - to be running linux in 10MB 'disk' and 320MB RAM.

There always seems to be at least three ways to do things in linux.

David