baslinux - Re: [BL] new list member

  • From: Theo Perry <theo.perry AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new list member
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:12:52 +1200

I recall my first time of delving into the works of a computer was when I put a second floppy drive into my brand new state-of-the-art Amstrad machine back in the early 80's. I was using 360k 5.25 inch floppies and the new drive was capable of reading and writing 1.2 meg 5.25 inch floppies. Although this drive was reading and writing my existing 360k disks, I was very disgusted that a disk written by the 1.2 meg drive, even though written on a 360k floppy, could not be read by the (very slightly) older 360k drive. IIRC, I was told that the heads on the 1.2meg drive wrote more accurately than the 360k drive could read. The solution, of course, was to replace the original drive as well.

And so, my first lesson in Consumer Computing - If there's a way to make you spend twice as much, they'll find it!

And by the way, I kept a couple of old 5.25 inch drives in case I ever needed to try and access my old records. I recently did need to, and needless to say, they were not compatible.

Theo Perry

sindi keesan wrote:

I expect to be seeing postings soon from Jonathan, who picked up his computers yesterday. The first thing he discovered is that my floppy disks won't work in his old computer, nor his floppy disks in the new ones. He will learn to use floppymeter. He had commented that many of his floppy disks appeared to be bad when he tried to transfer files with them. That was our symptom too, when we tried to format them with a worn-out drive.