baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS SB16 diagnose

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS SB16 diagnose
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:19:09 +0000 (UTC)

If you liked 'diagnose' you will like:

ftp://ftp.pipeline.com.au/drivers/miscellany/145DSK1.exe and /145DSK2.exe,
self extracting files from Intel (also found at http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/gen_ind.htm) which purport to be DOS ISA Configuration Utilities for configuring pnp cards with a non-PNP bios.
I have not tried them yet. I presume once you get a card configured in DOS it will work with linux booted via loadlin.

pipeline also has a great collection of old DOS and Win3.1 and Win95 sound drivers for ESS 1869, Crystal 4232, Opti 929, Aztech Sound Galaxy (I have 1-4 of each of these), and under /drivers/Sound_Card/Creative you will also find a variety of things which look like ISA configuration managers or utilities. See the index for CTCMBBS CTCMGR CTCU and SB-ICU (the last is from Intel, 2MB, and may be the same as the two ICU disks above, the others are about 200-400K). CTCMBBS includes diagnose, it says, and some of the others.

I have five CT AWE cards - a Vibra16 CT3930 which works perfectly in DOS including AWE initialization, and diagnose finds the added RAM (despite there being no jumper to enable it) and tests it and lets me play AWE sound. The Vibra16 is jumpered for io and irq and dma.

Two CT3600 and two AWE64 have no jumpers for the above (I could disable mpu on one of them) and do not initialize awe with diagnose and probably need to have awe initialized with an ICU (ISA Config. Manager) in DOS or with isapnp in linux to play AWE.

They all play AWE sound in Win98, which lists the AWE part in Sound (System), but rebooting to DOS loses that initialization. If you can boot linux from a DOS windows in Windows it might stay initialized - I forget if you can do so.

All four pnp AWE cards are failing to initialize AWE in DOS, so I will try one or more of these ICUs on them.

You don't need to initialize these cards (or other DOS SB ISA cards that I have) to play non-midi files, but you probably do to play midi files with AWE and, according to David, also to use midi FM synthesis, however, FM synthesis works on all of them (except one where it is broken) in DOS so it might work in linux too after running DOS diagnose. I have not tried OPL yet. Diagnose supplies the io addresses. mpu address is regular io plus 400 (620, A20, E20 in Win98).

If any of these programs help I will copy them to my site.