baslinux - Re: [BL] Lilo Problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Lilo Problem
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:18:34 +1200

"Christian Gläsing" wrote:

> lilo din´t load without the floppy disk. it stops
> with "li". I searched the web and have read that the
> problem is that my hd is bigger than 1024.

To which David Moberg replied:

> This most often occurs when the second-stage loader,
> '/boot/boot.b', is not loadable using the BIOS.
>
> tried specifying 'lba32' in your 'lilo.conf' file?
>
> specify the disk geometry to LILO using 'disk= heads= sectors='
>
> tell LILO what disks are assigned to what device codes.
> This can be done using 'disk= bios=' lines in 'lilo.conf'

This is why I use loadlin.exe as the default loader for
BasicLinux. It has far fewer hassles than LILO. Simply
create a small bootable DOS partition and run loadlin.exe
from there. It is foolproof (when you boot a clean DOS).

Christian, if David's suggestions do not fix your LILO
problem, I will give you instructions for using loadlin.exe.
But I will need more information: What partition is BL3 on?
How big is the partition? Are there any other partitions on
the HD? Is there unallocated space on the HD available for
a new partition? Do you have a DOS bootdisk?

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru