baslinux - Re: [BL] Re:display settings

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re:display settings
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:50:42 +0000 (UTC)

If you are booting into BL3 from DOS with loadlin, and are not using FreeDOS, DR-DOS or MS-DOS 7.1 (Win9X or later), himem.sys (or I think even in DOS 7.1 also smartdrv.exe) can interfere with Xvesa, which is used by BL3 for video. You can boot without config.sys either by deleting it, using a boot floppy without it, or hitting F5 every few seconds during boot, which will tell you 'bypassing system files'.

See if this fixes the problem. I was making a guess at your symptoms.

Xvesa is a one-size-fits-all program with some inadequacies, but it is a lot easier to set up.

You could also try the 2-floppy BL3 with lilo, no DOS involved.