baslinux - Re: [BL] Booting from a ppa zip drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Booting from a ppa zip drive
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:22:04 +0000 (UTC)

Following David's later instructions (gunzip blppaz.gz, mount blppaz, mount initfs.gz and replace ppa.o with imm.o, edit the rc file to insmod imm.o, change kernel if desired) I have made a blimmz.gz floppy boot disk image posted at keesan.freeshell.org/bl, and also wrote it to floppy disk:

dd if=blimmz of=/dev/fd0

Instructions for use are at my site (blfiles.htm), which also includes some things I compiled.

I also made a 50MB fs.img of the BL3 files I had installed to ext2 hd partition and copied this to a 100MB zip disk. This involved making an empty file with dd (see another posting on how to resize fs.img), mke2fs, answer yes, and copying the file system from /dev/hdb1 to it, again with dd and loop involved. You could instead just copy the 20MB fs.img from the DOS partition if you got that version of BL3 (loop/DOS).

Our second parport zip drive turns out to be scsi (they use the same D-shell cables) so I will have to go to another address to test the boot disk on the real parport zip drive. Some day I will get all the pieces in one place and be able to impress the neighbors.