baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux, SAMBA, and small memory testing

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux, SAMBA, and small memory testing
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:52:36 +1200

Max L. Eidswick wrote:

> Pentium-166, 8MB
> trying to find a reliable SAMBA testbed

If it were me, I'd use BL2 and the samba package from
Slackware 7.1. You can probably get samba going on
BL3 (using the package from Slackware 4.0) but I expect
that to be more difficult.

> I have not started setting up the network, yet
> (I have an Intel Pro/100 ISA adapter

I'm guessing that your network card will work with the
eepro100 module from Slackware 7.1 (modules directory).
But the e100 module should work better than eepro100.
You will find an e100 suitable for BL2/BL3 here:
--------------------------------------
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/download/
--------------------------------------

Put the module in /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc and execute:
----------- ---------------
insmod e100 or insmod eepro100 (if you're using that)

If that is successful, you will get a message about eth0.
Then do the following to bring up the network connection:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.111
That number is just an example (use an appropriate number
for your network).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru