baslinux - Re: [BL] Booting from a ppa zip drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Booting from a ppa zip drive
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:32:50 +0000 (UTC)

I have not yet learned to resize a loop.

There are two ways, either:

dd if=/dev/zero of=newfs.img bs=1024k count=100 # replace count with desired
# size in MB

mke2fs newfs.img # say yes to the prompt
mount -o loop newfs.img /hd
mount -o loop fs.img /fd
cp -a /fd/* /hd
umount /hd
umount /fd

Or mount to /mnt instead of /fd?

or, if you have the resize2fs program:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=100 >>fs.img # replace count with the
# desired size MINUS the
# current size. for
# instance, if you want
# a 50MB image, and it's
# 20MB now, use 30

resize2fs fs.img # resize2fs may simply say "run e2fsck -f fs.img
# first". If that's the case, do what it says,
# then run it again.

How do I copy files to fs.img, with dd?

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=fs.img (all from ramdisk linux)?

OK.

Then to copy fs.img to zip drive:
mount /dev/sda4 /zip
cp fs.img /zip ?

mount, then mkdir /zip/baslin then cp fs.img /zip/baslin.

Is your boot disk designed to work only with fs.img?

always modify the fs.img while it is running if you want to make
changes.

That's your choice. Using fs.img makes it much easier to add files
which can be read by DOS.

How would I read a file in DOS from fs.img?

Could I try out your boot disk with a scsi zip drive? I think the
only difference is the two parport modules (which won't hurt
anything) and ppa.

On the contrary, SCSI is more complicated, because you need low-level
drivers for your specific adapter. You'll probably also need to manually
set up the module. Much more complicated.

Forgot about this. There is not much point in doing this with a scsi zip disk since it is not very portable (needs a scsi card).

I am going to first have to learn to make an ext2 filesystem on the
zip disk with iw from iomega.

Note that you don't need an ext2 filesystem on the zip disk to use
the bootdisk I made. It can be an msdos filesystem instead, as long
as /baslin/fs.img is on there.

Good, we can make the file and the boot disk now and be all ready to try it on the parport drive when it comes.

Can I make a newfs.img and copy a larger fs.img to it and retain all the files but have less free space? Or can one only copy a smaller fs.img to a larger newfs.img? My HD BL3 partition is 200MB with about 30MB of files, and I want 50MB of linux on the zip disk.

Can I partition a disk to be half
linux and half DOS? I only have one disk here and want to be able
to use it in DOS.

You can use the loopback file as described above. I'm not sure how you
partition a zip disk.
No need if fs.img can be on a DOS partition.

David