baslinux - RE: [BL] bl3 ssh

  • From: "Jason Chall" <shaggychall AT yahoo.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [BL] bl3 ssh
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:34:56 -0500

Andrew,
I configured my BL3 box to allow both local and remote login via telnet. I
installed the shadow.tgz package and did some modifications to make this
effective. You don't have to have local logins to allow remote logins
though. If you want local logins you'll have to modify /etc/inittab I
combined some aspectts of the standard BL3 inittab as well as the example
found on the inittab man page on die.net You may also have to install the
ncurses.tgz package and the sysvinit.tgz package and possibly others. If
using shadow when you try and run the commands to create users it will
complain about missing files which you should just create blank files for
manually and it should work. There's also a command you'll have to run to
comvert your passwords file to shadowed. Hope that helps. Note for BL3 all
packages should come from slackware 4.0 and all kernel modules should come
from 7.1. Just checkout the BL3 website, there's links to these distros.

Jason