baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3 ssh

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3 ssh
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:54:28 +1300

Andrew wrote:

> Am I right in thinking the bl3 ssh packet only
> includes client programs?

Yes. BL3 was designed to be a network client, not a
server. That includes dhcp, telnet, ftp, pop3, smtp
and dns. The one exception is http, for which BL3
provides both a client and a server.

Servers face a variety of security issues and are
best run on locked-down, up-to-date distributions.
Especially servers that provide login access.

> I was hoping to be able to log into the bl3 machine
> remotely using ssh,

BL3 doesn't even have local login, let alone a remote
login capability.

With BL1 and BL2 (which have local login), you can
use the in.telnetd executable from Slackware (it's
in the tcpip1.tgz package) to provide a telnet login:
-----------------
in.telnetd -debug
-----------------
That will give you a single remote login.

However, I have never tried the above on BL3 and expect
it to fail (because there's no local login capability).
If anybody decides to experiment with in.telnetd on
BL3, please report back here with your findings.

> but I don't seem to be able to (Connection refused).

There's nothing running to accept a connection (execute
ps to see what is running). Most mainstream Linux
distributions start a whole bunch of servers by default.
This uses system resources and opens up avenues for
potential attack (thereby making security an issue).

BL3 does very little by default. For example, you need
to activate a CDrom drive yourself. Ditto a PCMCIA slot.
(see /etc/rc for details)

It is only by keeping defaults to a minimum that BL3 is
able to run on very low-end systems.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru