baslinux - Re: [BL] Using bzip/rzip instead of gzip (Was: BL 3.32: networkproblem - where is eepro100.o kernelmodule?)

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using bzip/rzip instead of gzip (Was: BL 3.32: networkproblem - where is eepro100.o kernelmodule?)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:43:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: jari.aalto AT cante.net
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] Using bzip/rzip instead of gzip (Was: BL 3.32:
networkproblem - where is eepro100.o kernelmodule?)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:50:32 +0200

> I didn't test on zImage, but yes, in general bzImage for kernel would also
> be smaller. I believe latest kernels already use that or offer the choice.
> Not sure about 2.x.

2.2.x certainly does allow make bzImage.

> The interesting thing is could rzip be used there as well to squeeze even
> more room. I'm not familiar with kernel enough to understand how the
> uncompression is done.

Well, uncompression is done by some code at the beginning of the kernel. If
you want a compression method other than the built-in methods, you'll need
to write code to hack it into the kernel. If you know C (or assembler, I'm
sure which language the code in question is written in) you could probably
replace all of the gzip or bzip2 functions with equivalent rzip functions,
then change the Linux Makefile to use rzip to compress it. Good luck.

David

  • Re: [BL] Using bzip/rzip instead of gzip (Was: BL 3.32: networkproblem - where is eepro100.o kernelmodule?), David Moberg, 03/02/2005