baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 with scsi drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 with scsi drive
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:50:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

Three of my four drives here have developed partition table
problems in the past week, which I hope I have fixed (the last two
stayed the proper size but the last partition on each doubled
itself - is this possibly a BIOS problem? They were working and I
only noticed the problem while trying out spinrite on them.).

Were these drives all in the same PC? Could be a serious motherboard
problem. I wouldn't use a PC that trashes hard drives that badly.

The 3.2G drive that BIOS thought was 1.2G was in one computer, causing problems with the OTHER (linux) drive, but the other two drives (in which the last partition on each suddenly doubled in size) were in a computer that won't work with loadlin unless I use MS DOS 7.10 (or put zimage on a floppy disk formatted with it). I was offered a replacement computer by a friend who has to get it out of storage. Until that happens I hope to keep this one working, also I need for find a replacement drive for the other computer.

A friend offered a 4G scsi drive. I have the card and what looks
like a scsi cable (long, blue, stiff). To use it with linux would
I need to do anything more than boot with my new scsi-capable
kernel?

If you have the modules for your SCSI card and the disk module it will
work, barring SCSI hardware difficulties.

The scsi card is working in that computer with scsi zip and scsi scanner and it has a place to plug in the cable. The zip drive uses sd_mod.o. I presume I will have both and sda1 and an sda4 (zip drive is always 4). Do I need to set a scsi ID on the hard disk? The zip can be 5 or 6. I don't have it yet as the neighbor wants to take off some files. It is 2G.

Is there some advantage to having four smaller partitions instead
of one big one and maybe a swap partition? A smaller partition
seems to boot faster and I could probably just use another
partition mounted on /tmp when I needed more space for compiling,
or use it to store .tgz packages that I don't need to get at, or
mount it to use in copying music files.

If you're using a DOS or Windows filesystem, you don't want many
partitions because of file fragmentation. Unix partitions should be
fine with four parts.

This will be a linux only drive. I don't know how to use scsi in DOS - device=aspi.sys? But then what?

In DOS I thought smaller partitions let you have smaller cluster sizes.

David