baslinux - Re: [BL] Re-installing, boot loader question

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re-installing, boot loader question
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:49:17 +1300

Mr Christopher Rose wrote:

> installing BL3 onto the hard drive.
> However, I can not get the boot loader to work.
>
> I hit ctrl at lilo
> and type hd root=/dev/hda1
> then at the command promt I type lilo -v
>
> and it gives me a message that it has installed
> and mergered lilo but when I attempt to boot the
> computer without the boot disk, nothing happens.

Before executing 'lilo -v', edit /etc/lilo.conf
and remove the # in front of "boot=/dev/hda".
Then execute "lilo -v".

> the floppy drive on the laptop is broken and
> I have to install BL3 by disconnecting the hard
> drives from my tower and hooking up the laptop's
> hard drive in its place

Are you connecting the HD as the master drive on
the primary IDE cable? If not, lilo.conf will
point lilo at /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd
(depending on where you connected the HD).

The BL3 lilo.conf assumes you are currently running
on the partition you want lilo to boot:
root=CURRENT
If not, you must specify the target partition.

> My partitions are as follows:
> hda1 (bootable) start cyl 1 end cyl 816
> hda2 (swap) start 817 end 1016

root=/dev/hda1