baslinux - Re: [BL] Russian fonts available

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Russian fonts available
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:43:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

On 11 Jan 05 at 19:09, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

- downloadable fonts for HP Laserjet 3 or later

I don't think this will work for my HP Laserjet IIP or the deskjet series,
unfortunately. But maybe there is something in here I can use to design
my own fonts some day. Thanks. I will look into using my Epson fonts
with linux if I can find them and extract from the WP setup.

You _should_ try my fonts. There is nothing to lose.

But how would I use fonts for 600x600 dpi, scalable, on a PCL laser printer that prints 300x300 (or 150x150) not scalable?

See below for an explanation of why your Laserjet 3 fonts won't work on a
Laserjet IIp or a deskjet.

ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/laser/
I found (from 1988/89): hpril.zip - Russian soft font
and two printer font editors for laserjet: gof10.zip and fntedt57.zip

And at /msdos/undefined/lqchr121.zip to edit Epson printer fonts.
/msdos/printer or see keesan.freeshell.org/software.htm

Perhaps I can find some way to import the Turbofonts Cyrillic fonts into
this editor. Turbofonts had some mistakes that needed correcting.

Yes, in those days I wrote a my own font editor in Basic, in
order to print Latin 2 characters on my first matrix printer.
But writing a complete new alphabet needs quite some time even for
24pins only.

It would help to start with at least the standard character set for Epson 24-pin. I have not found one yet other than Turbofonts so will see if there is some way to extract fonts from that.

Perhaps converting from ascii to ps would be simplest, and graphics is not
as slow to print on a deskjet as on a dot-matrix. -------

I do not know deskjet at all. These printers are told to be too
expensive.

Deskjet 500's have been thrown out around here for at least five years.
They print 300x300 dpi, inkjet, and are cheaper than laser printers.

The Intellifont scaleable font format is supported by all HP
LaserJet printers from the HP LaserJet III onwards.

I think my fonts are not scalable and our HPLJ 4ML has only 300dpi.
The font file is so big because for each type size there is an own
font definition. So this actually should be compliant with the
old HPLJ II.

I wonder why the website said it did 600x600.

Once soft fonts have been added to a LaserJet printer they are
accessed by sending an escape sequence which selects the font ready for
use. Data is then sent to the printer as usual and will be printed using
the selected font.

In order to test the font file you should take one Code sequence from
hpcesky.txt (search for '_RUS') and put it with some cp866 Russian
letters into a test file that will be sent to the printer after the
download file.

I will try to understand this some time. You put the escape sequence into hpcesky.txt?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov