baslinux - Re: [BL] libvga for labtop display

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] libvga for labtop display
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:24:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

Hi list,

how do I have to configure libvga in order to run zgv on
a labtop? I copied zgv, libvga, and /etc/vga/vga.conf from
another machine with BL2.

Zgv works when I connect the labtop to an ordinary monitor, but
running it with the laptop display freezes the system.

Any idea what I need to write into vga.conf?

Christof

I have a libvga.config not vga.conf, in /etc/vga for BL1. I had it working with seejpeg on a different computer in BL1 and plan to try svgalib soon with Bl3 on a mono VGA laptop and zgv or seejpeg as viewer for links2.

Here is Steven's default libvga.config from BL1 (which uses vgalib not svgalib):

mouse Microsoft (if you have a PS/2 mouse change to PS/2, I think)
HorizSync 31.5 31.5
VertRefresh 60 60
chipset VGA

My guess is that the monitor settings that you copied over are okay for the external monitor but not for the laptop screen. LCD screens are said to be slower than CRTs, at least the earlier ones.

chipset VGA will give you only 16 colors. If your video card can do Vesa 1.2, try removing the chipset line (for S3 or Cirrus) or substitute chipset XVESA (for Trident or Tseng, to get more colors/resolution).

whatvga2 (shareware) for DOS will tell you the video card's VESA compatibility, resolution, and color depth (unless it crashes, which is common).