baslinux - Re: [BL] MS-DOS 7.10 disappeared my C: files

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MS-DOS 7.10 disappeared my C: files
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:16:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I typed:
tar -cvf temp.tar * --exclude-from=FILE

Into FILE I put the following:
/windows
/progr~1
/mymusi~1
/putty

I did something similar, except I did not put / at the
beginning of the directory names.

First I tried without the / and then with. I tried every combination I could think of, with the non-busybox BL2-on-ext2 tar.

I thought linux treated directories the same as files.

It does.

It showed a long list of them onscreen. Maybe it was
listing the files it did NOT include first?

No, if it's listed on the screen, it goes into the
archive.

What is a globbing pattern? Does this mean I could
use wildcards as well as file names

Yes.
I tried that too, it did not help.

The busybox tar may do the same things

The busybox tar did -X and --exclude exactly as I
expected. However, when I tried the same commands
with the full tar, it didn't work (for some reason
I haven't figured out).

Nice to know I am not going crazy. Many thanks for checking this out thoroughly.

Does BL3 on ext2 use the full tar or the busybox tar, and if the former did you check that as well as the full tar for BL2? I only tried the last of these.

but the --help file did not mention anything about X

The BL2 busybox and BL3 busybox both have the -X
parameter for tar; however, only BL2 mentions it
in --help

I was probably looking at the loop BL3 with busybox tar and decided to use BL2 full tar because --help did not mention -X. I got rather confused comparing all the tars and --help files and man pages.

Odd that the BL2 full-version --help mentioned but does not actually work with -X, and the BL3 busybox version does not mention -X in the help file but works with it.

Does anyone else have a newer full tar that works with -X?

Can I use lilo to boot to DOS or Bl3, and when in DOS
use loadlin to boot to another linux?

Yes.

I forgot that on this DFI computer loadlin would not work, which is why I was looking into lilo. I now have it working with DOS 7.10, but another solution would be to use lilo to boot into one linux then chroot to any other you wanted to run (and bash -login and run rc files and make sure you start with as many vts as you want in the original linux). You could run three other linuxes from the first one if you have 4 vts, if you wanted to compare and learn about different versions (Slackware, SuSE, etc.) Or on a computer where loadlin works, instead of lilo you could boot with loadlin to loop BL3 and chroot to various ext2 linuxes.

I was able to chroot from RAMdisk or loop linux to BL3 or Bl2 ext2 linux. I cannot think of a good reason to do the opposite. I could set up lilo to boot to Bl3 and use Bl2 when necessary via chroot, and if I needed RAMdisk linux use a 2-floppy version to boot it.

My hard drive software problem (could not boot to ext2) was a blessing in disguise as I have learned to chroot! (We also discovered that the 33K modem is actually a 56K when the replacement motherboard could not find it at first.)

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru