baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiling with BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiling with BL2
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:04:48 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Joel wrote:

> I'm once again trying to compile drivers in BL2.

Prepare yourself for a real challenge. This is complex, and involves
several components working together right. I hope it eventually works out
for you, but these things sometimes just end in frustration.

> -what kernel I should use
> -where I should get the source

2.2.16 is the kernel used in BL2. Kernel source is best gotten from
kernel.org .

You'll need to make sure you have a radio-enabled kernel to go with this.
The BL2 kernel is NOT. Maybe one of the Slack ones available for Slack
7.1 is though--you'll have to check.

A possible alternative is to use parts from Delilinux. It's also largely
Slack 7.1 compatible, but the author is compiling new stuff all the time.
Thus, it uses the newest 2.2.x kernel. I believe he has modules available
for that kernel as well--maybe even wireless ones. I'd definitely check
if there's anything that might help accomplish what you want in Deli
before going to all the trouble you're talking about here.

James