baslinux - Re: [BL] Contiguous

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Contiguous
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:23:29 +1300

Joel wrote:

> When I start my computer, it starts "init" or whatever,
> then checks the disk.

That's probably e2fsck.

> It says 0.5% contiguous.

It probably says: (0.5% non-contiguous)

> I'm assuming that this just means that the drive is
> 0.5% full.

It means 99.5% of your files are stored on contiguous
sectors (i.e. the most efficient way). Or, using DOS
terminology, 0.5% of your files are fragmented.

To find out how full the HD is do: df

> before installing linux, I had many bad sectors.

Bad sectors are always a cause for concern. Apparently
your Linux appears to be working OK at the moment, but
I strongly recommend you to keep backups of important
files.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru