baslinux - [BL] Re: BL2 and ADSL

  • From: "Nomdo Jansonius" <nomdo AT dds.nl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: BL2 and ADSL
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:24:35 +0100

Clearly, I have to give more details.

I have an e-tech ADSL modem with built-in router. One side connected to
the incoming telephone line (splitter), other side has four ethernet
entrances. From the point of view of my computer, the modem acts like a
server.

First, I configured the ADSL modem for my ISP (www.dds.nl), using a
borrowed laptop running internet explorer.

Next, I connected DOS to ADSL. This is really quite simple:

1. Download the correct driver for the network card from
http://www.crynwr.com/drivers
2. Install the driver, e.g. for a driver called foo.com:
foo 0x60
3. Configure Arachne by choosing: manual TCP/IP setup => resident
packet driver => configure via BOOTP

That's all! Did you ever download 1 Mb within 10 s? Every time arachne
performs BOOTP, the modem provides an IP-address to my computer
(10.0.0.*, where * is an apparently random integer).

Now time for Linux. The BasLinux FAQ provides some information for
connecting to a network, in three steps.

Step 1: I found the correct module for my network card at the Slackware
7.1 site and installed it in BL2.

Step 2: I gave a fake IP-address to my computer: ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.3.

To a certain extent, this works, as it is now possible to reach the
configuration menu of the ADSL modem by running netscape in BL2 and going
to http://10.0.0.2, as stated in the manual of the modem. However, the
internet cannot be reached.

The problem is that the BL FAQ assumes a fixed IP-address whereas an ADSL
modem delivers a dynamically assigned address. My original question, can
ADSL be used to connect BL to the web, is now reduced to the question:
how can we teach BL to accept an IP-address (and DNS etc.) from the ADSL
modem? In other words: can BL connect to a BOOTP/DHCP server?

All the best, Nomdo