baslinux - [BL] [keesan@sdf.lonestar.org: BL3/BL2 Xvesa mouse problem]

  • From: keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] [keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org: BL3/BL2 Xvesa mouse problem]
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:15:37 -0400

I have a genuine Microsoft PS/2 mouse which works in DOS and in SVGAlib
(where I set mouse_accel_type off - I always have problems with mice if I
don't do this, except for one that refused to work unless I set to type
normal). Made my Microsoft Corp. in Malaysia. The very common little
smooth-plastic model with squared off edges, even commoner in serial model
where it works fine (I have two of them working). Part no 27700.
2-button. I ran Xsetup again to make sure to choose PS/2 2-button in BL3.

In Xvesa BL2 (grey screen) when I move the mouse it scoots to the top of
the screen and then will only move along the top edge or the side edge
except for very short forays into the interior. If used in Opera, windows
start popping up which should not.

In BL3 (Steven's setup) windows pop up all over the place in swm.
(This is the version before the presentation manager. I have to find two
good 1.44 floppy disks or run floppymeter again before trying the latest
version.)

How do I turn off acceleration in Xvesa? The man page was useless.
Something about -t # for mouse pixels. Did not help to change to 1, 2,
100.....

I have other mice, but this is a common one which I would like to get
working with Xvesa. One of the others required 'normal' acceleration in
SVGAlib - I did not try it with Xvesa but just replaced it instead.
Maybe Xvesa does not work with all mice?

Also in BL2 (my own minimal setup) I cannot get Xvesa to find the fonts
that I installed. They are in /usr/X11R6/bin/fonts/ and there is also a
link from /var/X11R6/lib/fonts to the first directory. What did I do
wrong? It works fine in BL3 with the few fonts in /misc. The built-in
Xvesa fonts are rather scrawny and hard to read. Help, Steven!
I thought I fixed this problem but then I messed up something along the
way (so Realaudio could find XKeysymBD I had to move a few things around)
and now it is not working again.

  • [BL] [keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org: BL3/BL2 Xvesa mouse problem], keesan, 09/05/2004