baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 problems with links2 and with mouse in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 problems with links2 and with mouse in Xvesa
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:59:16 +0000 (UTC)

The below problems were most likely related to my having set the symlink wrong in /dev. It should be
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse
(I may have done this backwards).

Apparently this mistake is sufficient to cause Xvesa to see an Illegal instruction and to crash links2 -g. It should not happen to anyone who has the sense to use BL2 or BL3 with Steven's nice simple beginner-proof script for setting the mouse. I am posting what I learned from my mistakes for the benefit of other beginners.

I see the kernel config for BL3 at the website - but not for the older versions. Was the part about coprocessor emulation added in the later kernel? Maybe that is what is causing one of the add-ons not to install (floating point problem) in the older version.

I will now try installing BL3 FD version to hard drive (once I round up two good 1.44 disks, which should be easier now that floppymeter identified the badly formatting drives). Is there some way to install directly rather than via FD?

Most of our disks are 720s but probably not enough people use them to bother making a 4-floppy BL3. Some hardware is more obsolete than even BL should support. Are there any 386 laptops that don't read 1.44MB disks?