baslinux - [BL] minimal X in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] minimal X in BL2
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 05:47:45 +0000 (UTC)

I just fixed two problems with trying to install Xvesa rather than the more complicated X servers in Bl2 without installing entire packages.
In addition to copying over the required libraries for Xvesa, rxvt, and Opera, I needed to make symlinks

cd /usr
ln -s X11R6 X11

cd /usr/X11R6/lib
ln -s /var/X11R6/lib X11

The fonts and icewm/help go in /var/X11R6/lib not in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 where I had put them mistakenly. A few files that Realplayer could not find including XKeysymDB (caused lots of error messages) and the libraries such as libXp.so.6.2 also go in /var/X11R6/lib. Realplayer can now find everything but it still gives me a segmentation fault when I try to install it (while in X - otherwise it complains about the screen).

Ron, I think you said it needed two newer libraries. glibc-so-2.2.5 and what else? No dependencies listed that I don't have but perhaps I have too old a version of some library file.

Our 2G drive is now 40% low-level formatted. What does it mean when the little window in upper right stops counting cylinders at 551 but the middle line shows cylinder 450, counting down from 775? We started about 16 hours ago. Is the upper right a list of bad tracks? The program came in CMOS with no instructions.