baslinux - Re: [BL] wheel mouse?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wheel mouse?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:54:44 -0400 (EDT)

I found a 45 page online howto about mice, including lots of info on
scrool mice. Apparently in addition to adding a line or two to XF86Config
you also need to modify .Xdefaults for xterm, and other things for other
programs, and Opera is not even listed. Rxvt 2.4.6 or later, and XFree
3.3.2 and later, can work with wheel mice, of which there are many sorts.
The PS/2 type are all supposed to use IMPS/2 but there is no mention of
needing imwheel. Serial scroll mice use protocol intellimouse.

In the meantime my partner declared that this mouse did not feel write and
plugged in the next nearest mouse (which got recycled after it did not
work in either DOS or Win98) and then a 3-button thing and he asks what
the third button is used for in linux, or even in Windows. I hunted all
over the web and they always assume you know what to use it for and just
need to configure it, or switch it from 2 to 3 buttons. BL seems to make
it easy to configure the 3-button mouse (even BL3 asks politely if you
have one) but I don't even know what to do with the right (2nd) button.

One page contained many diagrams of the insides of mice showing how
3-button mice were hooked up, and how the 2/3 switches worked. I should
have saved the one I threw out in order to understand it.