baslinux - Re: [BL] wheel mouse?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wheel mouse?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:05:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> > We just acquired at a yard sale a mouse with two buttons on top, a small
> > wheel between them, and another narrow button on the left side. Is this a
> > 3-button wheel mouse and if not, what is it? How do we set this up for
> > Xvesa, ln -s /dev/???? /dev/mouse ? Will this also take care of svgalib
> > mouse? I only have experience so far with PS/2 (default in Xvesa) and
> > serial mice.
> >
> > Sindi
> >

> A web search on wheel mouse, linux, and xvesa produced the following
> information.
>
> A wheel mouse is like a 5-button mouse but the scroll wheel substitutes
> for the 4th and 5th buttons (which move the scrollbar?)
>
> /dev/psaux,5 for a PS/2 wheel mouse

I read in a few other places to just leave /dev/mouse (which is defined
elsewhere as psaux) in /etc/XF86Config.

> In Xf86config you need to modify
> Section "Input Device"

I think this was actually "Pointer".

> Identifier "Mouse"
> /dev/psaux [or psaux,5?]
Not needed. /dev/mouse works
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "Buttons" "3"
Should be "5"

But when I tried this I typed startx and got back error messages
complaining about the two Option lines, with Option underlined.
Does XFree 3 do things differently from 4? The instructions were also to
modify two different XF86Config files, one of which I do not have.

> DamnSmallLinux is now set to use the wheel mouse if found, when you
> specify PS/2 mouse, in Xvesa (?).

Have not yet tried this in DSL.

> Someone was playing with Xvesa and xev and reports that "Xvesa does not
> generate any events for any of the side buttons or the scroll wheel"
> except that depressing the wheel is like hitting the Enter key.
>
> Another site said that in order to get Kdrive Xvesa to work with a wheel
> mouse you need to modify the driver mouse.c (and presumably compile Xvesa
> yourself).

Tried compiling imwheel and running it with IMPS/2 instead of PS/2 but it
turns out that is for intellimouse and we have memorex wheel mouse.

Imwheel was at least easy to compile.

This mouse works fine in Win98 as a wheel mouse.