baslinux - Re: [BL] pdftohtml

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdftohtml
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks. If I understand correctly, this is based on xpdf (which itself it
rather slow) but does not require X, just a browser that can view .png
files (links2 should do it). Is there a compiled version for BL2?

While checking out that link, I discovered that pine on this computer is
now set to view URLs with elinks rather than lynx (a surprise from my
young friend who set this up, I presume). Elinks lets you set text and
background colors, or use original webpage colors, but has no way to
number links, so will take some adjusting to use on my TTL monitor.

wvware (which I have not yet tried to compile for linux, but use in DOS)
also converts pdf to html (or a few other formats). Antiword converts to
text or ps (viewable with ghostscript, X not needed).

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, James Miller wrote:

> View PDFs with a browser using pdftohtml
>
> I picked up the phone, and the voice at the other end said, "Rob, can you
> help me with a PDF file? I can't read it." It was my Beverly Hills
> attorney brother, who had received a 1MB PDF file via his Web-based email
> client and didn't know how to download it and read it, especially since he
> had no Acrobot reader installed. After some mutual grumbling about Acrobat
> being an unnecessary step in the document-reading process, I discovered a
> fairly painless solution to the whole mess, thanks to a little-known
> program called pdftohtml.
>
> http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/06/08/1530200.shtml
>
> Thought this item might be of interest here since there has been a fair
> amount of discussion onlist about options for viewing pdf files.
>
> James

  • [BL] pdftohtml, James Miller, 06/16/2004
    • Re: [BL] pdftohtml, Sindi Keesan, 06/16/2004