baslinux - [BL] BL: Installing LILO from a non-future root

  • From: "Marcus Mundt" <Marcus.Mundt AT forsa.de>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] BL: Installing LILO from a non-future root
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:48:46 +0200

I want to install basiclinux on several PCs by copying an image, which I
made of another system, to hda1 (that works) and installing LILO.
I`m booting a new system with a bootdisk (toms root boot disk), create
partitions, mke2fs them and copy the image on hda1.
Then I want to install LILO.

First I tried it with "chroot /hda1" (this is the partition with basiclinux)
and /sbin/lilo.
Everything works this way but I can`t do that in a script, because after the
chroot it stops execution.
I used chroot, as then the needed files are in the right place, no errors
are shown and everything worked.
I need the installation of LILO in a script. Is that possible in a script
with chroot??

Then I tried to do this:
"/hda1/sbin/lilo -C /hda1/etc/lilo.conf" after mounting /hda1 (install LILO
without chroot)

but I get this message:
"Sorry, don`t know how to handle device 0x0100"

Why isn`t this message shown when I first chroot to hda1 and the execute
lilo. Isn`t it the same.
How can I install LILO without changing the root?

Thanks for your help and best wishes,
Marcus