baslinux - [BL] Kernel 2.6 dieting (Re: The Fast-Food Syndrome...)

  • From: ruohtula AT netscape.net (Erkki Ruohtula)
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Kernel 2.6 dieting (Re: The Fast-Food Syndrome...)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 05:17:26 -0400

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>DAVID L. ORMAND wrote:
>> in responsiveness and quality, but I suspect the
>> 2.6 kernel is too big to go on my 4Mb 486, no
>> matter how barebones I configure.
>
>It is true that the 2.6 kernel has more overhead than the
>2.2. However, I'm pretty sure that (with a bit of work)
>you could strip down a 2.6 enough to get it running on that
>486. After all, the current BL3 kernel will boot in 2.5mb
>RAM, so your 4mb RAM should be enough for a stripped 2.6.

In fact, there already is a patch set specifically
aiming to configure the 2.6 kernel to old or other
low-resource systems. See

http://www.selenic.com/tiny-about/

(have not tried, just saw link to it somewhere)

Erkki

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

  • [BL] Kernel 2.6 dieting (Re: The Fast-Food Syndrome...), Erkki Ruohtula, 06/14/2004