baslinux - [BL] fdisk with BL3 disk set

  • From: "44th Regiment of Foot" <alloydog AT 44th-regiment-foot.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] fdisk with BL3 disk set
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:48:33 +0100

I recently downloaded the BL3 disks. Everything boots up OK, but
when I try to us fdisk to remove the PCs current partion/formatting
it doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something real stupid ?

This is what I did:

fdisk -l
/dev/hda1 * 1 621 1251904+ 7 NTFS

So, ...

fdisk /dev/hda1
d (delete partition)
1 (partion 1 - as there is only one partition - though I think this
is where I am going wrong.)
I get the message that the HD is sync'ing and a warning that the
partion table has changed.

fdisk /dev/hda1
n (add partition)
1
start 1
stop +1000M (the rest is to be used as a swap partion)
start ? (forgotten what the start block was, but it was the default
500 and something)
stop 620
1
type 83
2
type 82
sync hd etc etc

reboot ...

WindowsNT is now starting Neaaaaaaagh !!!!!
I'm still a real newbie to Linux, but have sucessfully installed
'big' distros such as Slackware & RedHat and even Tiny Linux, but in
all cases I used cfdisk & had no problems.

Help, please.

Rob.