baslinux - [BL] Modem questions

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Modem questions
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 01:29:08 +0000 (UTC)

Ok, I'm in the process of fighting with my setup again, and one of the things I am considering is to pull my hardware modem (with jumpers for COM/IRQ settings) from m windows box, and placeing it into tmy linux box, and then turn my linux box into my prirmary gateway to the internet. My ISP (Joi Internet) allows for unlimited useage, but has an autodisconnect after 5 hours of continuous online connectivity (which I tend to do alot, setup overnight d/ls and then burn the results to CD in morning). In windows, the ssytem can autoconnect when I get disconnected (either OS does it for you (win2k) or use a add-on program to do so). Is there a way to do this autmatically in linux? Also, is there software that can be used in linux for on-demand dialing? This way, I can just let my wife issue a command to linux via networking, linux will connect, and then she can surf the web on her max going through linux.

Any suggestions on NAT software that will allow me to route the internet traffic into my windows, and my wifes Mac? Is this even needed, or does the network routeing abilities of linux take care of this itself without anything exxtra needing added?

Also, since I'm going to use linux as my gateway for internet, any suggsetions on decent firewalls to use on linux (must be freeware)?

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org