baslinux - [BL] screen: why use it?

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] screen: why use it?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 02:36:42 +0000 (UTC)

I've heard people talk about a program called screen, and did a search for it through google and fond a little about it (found its man page to be exact).

My question, why is it needed? On a remote machine, you can usually open as many telnet windows as you need. Physically logged into linux machine, you have the virtual consoles. I've never used more than a few console windows at the same time, so why would someone need the power that screen allows? I will admit, it looks really useful, but I just can't see the need for it with the options that already exist. Anyone care to offer me their own viewpoints on this program?

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org