baslinux - Re: [BL] Midnight Commander

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Midnight Commander
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:12:21 +1200

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I have failed to be able to use nfs between BL3.21

In order to keep the BL3 kernel as small as possible,
the NFS capability was moved to modules. It requires
three (rather large) modules to enable an NFS mount.

> and then MC can manipulate files on both computers, etc

As you probably know, mc has a tool called mcserv which
(I think) takes the place of an NFS server. The new BL3
mc package includes mcserv. I suggest you try that first
(before trying to get NFS to work).

> So am hoping to run good old BL2.1 on FIC, and someday be
> able to mount it (192.168.1.1:/) on ASUS using BL3?

I'm sure that will be possible, one way or the other.

> I guess even the new MC won't let me access the other
> computer unless I can mount it.

I know very little about how mcserv works, but I get the
impression it works independently of mount (I could be
wrong). I would be grateful if an experienced mc user
could enlighten me. BTW, the mc and mcserv manpages are
installed with the new mc packages.

> Have ripped open 3 computers, moved NICs, etc etc
> Can't rip out any hair, there's very little remaining,

Sorry about all the trouble. A quick fix (if mcserv doesn't
do it) is to use the bare.i kernel from Slackware 7.1. Or,
I can upload the NFS modules for the BL3 kernel (IIRC they
are not in the Slackware 7.1 modules directory).