baslinux - [BL] XVESA - illegal instruction

  • From: Hal MacArgle <halinux AT kvinet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] XVESA - illegal instruction
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 08:38:13 -0400

----- Forwarded message from Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> -----

I have copied my entire BL2 linux setup (via plip or ethernet) to 6 other
computers from one where Xvesa was working (with an S3 Trio3D card).
I tried to use it on a computer with S3 Virge.

Xvesa (from /usr/X11R6/bin or not)
Illegal instruction.

Everything else appears to work there - svgalib (bmv, zgv, seejpeg),
links, lynx. Just not Xvesa.

ls -l Xvesa 945896 bytes. I reinstalled the package with no improvement.

This computer has Win98 DOS but so do two others where Xvesa works.
The other two computers have different video (SiS and Trio3D).

I tested out various video cards including Virge (not necessarily this
particular Virge) with Xvesa and they all worked with it before.

My DOS whatvga2 diagnostic program displays 1280 resolution on this
monitor. I cannot get Xvesa to work at default 640x480.

I did not check the other 5 computers yet because a large pdf translation
just arrived which I need to view and/or print first. Also all but one of
them just got carted off to other locations without first texting Xvesa.

gs (DOS or linux, Aladdin 5.10) would not display a pdf file, xpdf would
(on a computer where Xvesa is working). I notice that if you run xpdf at
a higher resolution it just uses less of the screen, unlike bmv (svgalib)
which lets you use the whole screen.

I ended up converting with pdftops and could then view the ps file with
gs/bmv (or dos psv, which I used to print one page at a time because gs in
DOS can only print selected pages of pdf not ps files).

Sindi

----- End forwarded message -----

  • [BL] XVESA - illegal instruction, Hal MacArgle, 05/16/2004