baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa - Illegal instruction

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa - Illegal instruction
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:04:06 -0400 (EDT)

I don't see my last posting here yet, but I reported that Xvesa was not
working in BL2 on a computer to which I copied a linux installation from a
computer with S3Trio3D video. This one is S3 Virge, and I had Virges
working before with Xvesa.

I type Xvesa and get back
Illegal instruction.

I just checked BL3 (third downloaded version) on the same computer.

Xvesa would not work at all here either.

startx:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

This looks familiar.

I rebooted:

hit F5

Windows is bypassing your startup files. Himem is testing extended
memory .... done. (Why is himem doing anything now?)

Now Xvesa works. I thought only MS DOS 6.22 had problems with
Xvesa, not Win98SE DOS, which worked for me with Xvesa on 2 other
computers and no need to bypass the startup files. Why this time?

Xvesa also works in Bl2 if I hit F5 while booting.

I copied the startup files from a computer where Xvesa worked - I don't
think I changed anything in them.

This is a Gateway PII 233 with Phoenix Bios. Our other two PII computers
(I think with AMI BIOS - a Compaq and an off brand) don't need to bypass
the startup files. Neither is a Gateway but I will check one other
Gateway.

Two possible solutions to my problem:

Make a boot menu and reboot DOS and Linux any time I want to use Xvesa.
Learn to set up X with the S3 Virge server (ugh) which won't let me easily
switch resolutions. (At least I don't want to learn how, when I finally
figured out how to do it in Xvesa with -screen).

I have in config.sys:
himem.sys
emm386.exe
break=on
shell=c:\command.com

and the usual files stacks fcbs lastdrive dos=high,umb lines

Is himem.sys the usual culprit?