baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie question, errors on loading

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie question, errors on loading
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 18:59:31 -0400

> I would like to use BasicLinux on my computer which already has Windows
> 98 loaded on it.

Yes, I did that last fall.

> If I run Boot.bat in a DOS window inside of Windows, I get the following
> message:
>
> WARNING: Not enough free memory (load buffer size)

No, don't do that - I think the readme says not to.

Are you talking about BasicLinux 3.xx? The one I did last year was version
2.1.

Let's look at the readme for ver 3.21:

"Unzip BL3.zip to the C:\baslin directory. The directory must be called
baslin, and it must be a top directory

SNIP

To boot correctly, BL3 needs a relatively clean DOS. If BL3 refuses to
boot (or it crashes when you try to run X), start your DOS without extras:
no CONFIG.SYS, no AUTOEXEC.BAT, no Windows."

> If I run Boot.bat in DOS without loading Windows, much data is displayed
> and then the screen freezes. I think the last two lines probably
> indicate the problem:
>
> FAT bread failed
>
> Any suggestions appreciated,

Hopefully you'll soon get the answer from someone, Dan.

Regards,

Sheldon Isaac