baslinux - [BL] How to avoid the 60 Hz refresh rate

  • From: "Knut Backe" <knutbacke AT hotmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] How to avoid the 60 Hz refresh rate
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:31:50 +0200

There is a workaround to avoid the Xvesa 60 Hz refresh rate - when googling
I found the following:

Refresh rates
=============
There is no way to change the vesafb video mode and/or timings after
booting linux. If you are not happy with the 60 Hz refresh rate, you
have these options:
* configure and load the DOS-Tools for your the graphics board (if
available) and boot linux with loadlin.
* use a native driver (matroxfb/atyfb) instead if vesafb. If none
is available, write a new one!
* VBE 3.0 might work too. I have neither a gfx board with VBE 3.0
support nor the specs, so I have not checked this yet.

I tried the first and it works - I am now running 640x480 at 72 Hz using a Tseng
ET4000 card. The problem may be to find any dos tools ... (Scitech have some
dos tools that may/may not work, http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/).

Last ned MSN Messenger gratis http://www.msn.no/computing/messenger - Den raskeste veien mellom deg og dine venner

  • [BL] How to avoid the 60 Hz refresh rate, Knut Backe, 05/13/2004