baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa and SVGAlib - which cards work best

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa and SVGAlib - which cards work best
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:38:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Ken Martwick wrote:

> I originally thought that a video card without vesa modes
> would not work with Xvesa, but I am using BL3 with a Tseng
> ET4000 (from around 1990) that predates vesa. This is in
> 640x480x8 mode, which became a very common SVGA mode. Also,
> BL3 runs fine on a Trident SVGA with vesa 1.2 in 800x600x12
> mode. Vesa 2.0 should be an assurance that Xvesa will work,
> but it seems not to be an absolute requirement.
> Ken Martwick

I have a bunch of older ISA video cards which are not VESA anything, which
I used to use with UNIVESA universal vesa driver in DOS. Load that first
and then you can get up to 1024x768x256. The cards would sometimes show
more colors with their own Windows drivers (or even Compushow drivers).
Perhaps Xvesa loads a univesa-like driver first?

Tseng, Trident, Cirrus worked with Univesa. Oak needed its own vesa
driver (otivbe?).