baslinux - AW: [BL] more on bootable CD's

  • From: "Flaig, Benno" <Benno.Flaig AT t-systems.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: AW: [BL] more on bootable CD's
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:35:29 +0100

James Miller wrote:
>My source informs me that I was
> wrong in thinking that, once you burn a CD R, you cannot put
> any more data
> on it - even if only part of the CD's capacity is used

in fact you can do this, if you do
- record a "multisession" cd, those can be read by virtually any CD Rom drive
OR
- write in "packet mode" using an UDF file system, those CDs don't comply to
ISO9660 standard and can only be read using a special file system driver

> (you will perhaps
> recall from our discussion on the proposed BL bootable CD how
> 99% of the
> space on the proposed CD would be "wasted," i.e., not have
> any files/data
> on it). Well, my source informs me that I was wrong about CD
> R's in this
> regard. The source claims, on the contrary, that further
> data *can* be
> written to an already-recorded CD R that still has free space
> on it (like
> the BL bootable CD, which would have only a few megabytes
> worth of files
> occupying it's ca 600MB capacity). In other words, you could
> take that
> bootable BL CD (R), put it in a CD burner, then add the files from
> Slackware71 to do the full HD install, as an example.

No, you can't do because Bootable CDs can't be multisession CDs or
UDF packet writing CDs. The only thing you can do is to keep the BL
bootable image on your hard drive and put it to the CD when you
burn your custom data.

Benno

  • AW: [BL] more on bootable CD's, Flaig, Benno, 02/03/2004