baslinux - [BL] (no subject)

  • From: sheywood AT shentel.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: 3aoo-cvfd AT sea.sapmcon.org
  • Subject: [BL] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:08:02 -0500

Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3

Last time Ernesto Celis wrote:

<snip>

> I found very tedious the configuration of my latin-american keyboard
> every time I made a new BL HD install, I did some modifications to the
> baslinux.gz, one of these is the inclusion of kbd.tgz package from the
> slakware/a8 directory, that way every time I install BL just have to add
> a line in rc.S to load my keymap at boot time. I like to see that change
> in the install script for BL3, thougt this could be usefull for others
> too.

Yes, it would be very useful to others, even for gringos like myself.
I sometimes do some email correspondence in Spanish, and I know I do
not do well with trying to write the special characters. I have always
had problems in trying to make those special characters to show up
right, regardless of whatever operating system I am running.

I never did get around to learning how to load code pages and keyboard
maps. I just try to make those special characters by entering the
extended ascii ALT + NUM characters, but they don't come out right
with some editors. Also they are incompatible between DOS and Windows
systems. I haven't tried it with Linux yet. To me it is very
mysterious how one reads and writes emails with all the special
characters being seen right on the sending as well as on the receiving
end. The way the characters are written and displayed seems to depend
on the operating systems and text editors and viewers used.

Sam Heywood
-- Message handled by BasicLinux, v. 2.1
-- See "http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/";

  • [BL] (no subject), sheywood, 01/27/2004