baslinux - Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword? (final)

  • From: Nomdo Jansonius <nomdo AT dds.nl>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword? (final)
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:59:03 +100

Well, after all Basiclinux appears to like Abiword. The "0 bytes DR-DOS to
BL communication bug" was fixed after removing the extended partition
from DR-DOS. Now I have four primary partitions on both HD's and
everything seems to work fine. Thanks, Nomdo

On 2004-01-05 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org said:
>Cc: BasicLinux List <71cm-s9q8 AT dea.spamcon.org>
>Nomdo Jansonius wrote:
>> Next I did: mount /dev/hda6 /dos.
>> Now abiword.tgz survived, but about 10 other .tgz files
>> disappeared completely (even not 0 bytes remaining)!
>/dev/hda6 is very unstable. Every partition on that drive
>could have similar instability when shared between DrDOS
>and Linux.
>---------------------------------
>/dev/hda1 C:
>/dev/hda2 extended
>/dev/hda3 BL1 root
>/dev/hda4 swap
>/dev/hda5 E:
>/dev/hda6 /dos F:
>/dev/hda7 G:
>/dev/hdb1 BL2 root
>/dev/hdb2 swap
>/dev/hdb4 D:
>---------------------------------
>> DR-DOS has put its primary FAT16 on the second HD in hdb4
>> for some reason (I started with DR-DOS on an empty HD, linux
>> partitions were made later).
>I suspect that DrDOS numbers the partitions from the opposite
>end. This isn't a problem when DrDOS is alone on the system,
>but cohabitation with Linux is problematical.
>It is possible that there is some workaround for this issue;
>however, I don't expect to find one. Only a minority of people
>run DOS and Linux on the same machine, and very few of those
>use DrDOS. The problem is so limited in application that I
>would be surprised if anybody took the time to develop a fix
>(although I could be wrong).
>> DR-DOS seems not to accept two primary partitions on one HD.
>> After one primary partition has been made, fdisk offers only
>> the option to create (logical drives in) an extended partition.
>After creating the first (primary) partition in DOS (and
>leaving the rest of the HD unpartitioned), you can boot
>BL2 (ramdisk) and create three more primary partitions
>(with DOS IDs). Then, when you return to DOS, you (hopefully)
>will be able to;
>---------
>format D:
>format E:
>format F:
>---------
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>* *
>* If anybody has an old HD with nothing important on it, I *
>* would be grateful for some feedback on this. Is DOS able *
>* to format extra primary partitions as described above? *
>* *
>> What DOS are BL-users using? FreeDos? Other DOS?
>I mostly use MS-DOS 6, but I sometimes use MS-DOS 5 or
>PC-DOS 3.3. Any of the mainstream DOSes (MSDOS, PCDOS)
>are good. There are risks with an unconventional DOS,
>particularly one that doesn't stick to the established
>ways of doing things.
>Cheers,
>Steven

  • Re: [BL] basiclinux doesn't like abiword? (final), Nomdo Jansonius, 01/05/2004