baslinux - [BL] LinuxSA Mailing List: A cure to "no DRQ after issuing WRITE" (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] LinuxSA Mailing List: A cure to "no DRQ after issuing WRITE" (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:42:05 -0500 (EST)

After both hard drives with linux on them in our Compaq Presario 500 MHz
curbside-find computer (that came with Redhat on it) had the same DRQ
reset message problem, I looked up the error message line on the web and
got over 900 hits. The first few were from people like Linus Torvalds
discussing how they patched the problem in kernel 2.4.x or how it only
occurred after upgrading from a 486 to a pentium or from 2.0 to 2.2 or
from something else to a Compaq. Everyone said their computer still was
usable but it was very frustrating to have this message keep appearing in
the middle of everything, sometimes with a pause that required hitting the
enter key.

Here is the cure. I tried it and it worked. My magic number is 16. I
will put the cure into rc.S unless someone has a better idea as we do not
seem to have rc.local.

Unfortunately, now that this is a linux-usable computer, I still need to
get fbdev or xvesa server working in order to get more than 8-bit color.
The xvesa manual was not helpful as I don't understand it. Maybe someone
has posted something equally helpful about xvesa.

LinuxSA Mailing list archives